Before you host a block party, open a sidewalk cafe, reserve a parking space in front of your house for moving, and do many other things requiring the use of public space, including streets and sidewalks, you must obtain a Public Space Permit from the District Department of Transportation (DDOT). 

To find out where public space permits are located near you, or to check on the status of a permit application, please go to DDOT's Public Space Permit Locator: